AMITY is an international, peer-reviewed journal that aims to examine the long and rich tradition of friendship both within and across cultural and historical boundaries. It is not aligned to any particular philosophical, ideological, or methodological tradition. It is interested in scholarship from a single discipline or from an inter- or multi-disciplinary perspective. AMITY accepts original and analytic academic articles regarding the discussion, exploration and development of the study of friendship.
Articles submitted for the journal should be original contributions and should not be under consideration for any other publication at the same time. Articles must address the subject matter of the journal as described in AMITY’s ‘Aims and Scope’, and written in clear, accessible English. Submitted manuscripts are subject to peer review. AMITY also publishes book reviews subject to the decision of the Editors.
AMITY is published on a rolling basis. As soon as a paper is accepted, edited, and issued with a DOI it will be made available on the website.
Authors should follow the style guidelines outlined below.
- Authors may submit articles for review at any time. Articles must be submitted electronically in either Rich text Format (RTF) or as a Word document to the editors: Graham M Smith (email@example.com) and/or Heather Devere (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Articles are expected to be between 6,000 and 10,000 words in length. Articles beyond this length will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances. All manuscripts must display a word count.
- Book reviews are expected to be between 1,000 and 3,000 words in length (dependent on the number of books reviewed). Again, longer articles might be accepted at the discretion of the Editors.
- The author/s’ name and address would appear on the first page of the manuscript. An email address must also be provided. No identifying information should be included in the manuscript thereafter. Manuscripts which are not anonymised in this way – or which contain identifying material – will not be considered. All authors should include a brief biography of approximately 100 words.
- An abstract or summary of the article of approximately 150 – 200 words should appear at the start of the article after the title. Titles should not be excessive in length.
- No updating or additions can be made after the final version has been agreed for publication.
Journal Referencing Style
Please note that authors are asked to follow the referencing and citation style of AMITY and that manuscripts may be returned if this is not done.
AMITY follows the Harvard referencing and citations style as described here: Harvard Referencing System. This guide is very extensive, and includes most kinds of materials which will need to be referenced or cited. There is also a template available for users of the program ‘Endnote‘.
If notes are required then please use a footnote system. Please keep these to an absolute minimum.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in OpenOffice or Microsoft Word document file format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines and Journal Referencing Style.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.